Fancy meeting you here!
Wow, there is a lot of nutrition information out there. It’s conflicting and confusing and all you want is some answers. Perhaps that’s how you found yourself in front of this page.
Maybe you’ve been suffering from gastrointestinal issues for ages and you don’t know what’s causing it. You’re frequently in pain or discomfort. You find that your poo changes from constipated to loose and you have no idea why. You’ve tried eliminating some foods and including more fibre, but nothing seems to help…
Maybe you’ve been trying to lose weight. It’s tough and consumes a lot of your thoughts. Even though you’re making healthy choices, nothing’s shifting…
Maybe you’re wanting to move to a different way of eating. Becoming vegan, vegetarian, gluten free or even paleo. You’re not sure how to get the balance right and you want to do the best thing for your body…
Or maybe you’re feeling like food is not your friend anymore. That you’ve got an unhealthy relationship going. A cycle of being ‘good’, slipping up and then throwing in the towel. Buggar it, right?
I definitely get it!
I believe, for most of us, all we want is to eat well, be healthy and feel good. Simple. It doesn’t feel like much to ask. Why does it feel so complicated?
Whilst life is rarely simple, I believe that eating good food, supporting good health and feeling good about it, CAN BE SIMPLE. It’s just about figuring out what that looks like for you.
Food is (or should be) an enjoyable part of life. It should fuel your body and keep you healthy, but it should also be something pleasurable. Something that we can share with loved ones. Balance. That is exactly what I love to help people find; their balance.
Together we can look at your life as a whole and figure out how to find balance for you. It’s not what we do occasionally that determines our weight, or our health. It’s what we do on a consistent basis. And that is where the focus of healthy eating should be. Consistency.
We can work together to find balance and consistency within your busy life.
But how do we do it?
In studying the human body and nutrition for more than 5 years I have gained a solid understanding of how nutrients effect our physiology. But knowing nutrition and applying that to everyday food choices are two very different things. That’s where my passion and skills lie. I can help you to feel comfortable with your food choices by giving you practical strategies that you can apply straight away. I can:
- find meal ideas and recipes that fit within your busy life
- determine your energy and nutrient requirements and translate that into real food,
- develop eating patterns for sustained energy,
- help you to challenge your relationship with food and emotional eating, and
- give you the skills to maintain healthy eating long term.
It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen (I can’t believe I’m quoting a Pantene Ad).
Over the past 6 years working with clients, one-on-one, I have seen what a difference small changes can make. It’s about incremental change and an accumulation of marginal gains.
- looking for the silver bullet or quick fix,
- close minded or unmotivated to change, or
- wanting someone to do it all for you.
I can tell you now that I am not the girl for you.
But if you’re:
- looking for long term change,
- wanting to do your body (and mind) a favour,
- willing to be open minded and give some different things a go, or
- not sure where to start.
Beyond helping people feel confident and comfortable with food in general, I have a particular interest in gastrointestinal (gut) health. I am fascinated by the way our body breaks down our food, absorbs the things that it needs and then eliminates the things it doesn’t. And by extension, I’m fascinated by all the ways that process can go wrong.
Abdominal bloating. Excessive wind. Heartburn. Nausea. Cramping. Urgency. Diarrhoea. Constipation.
All of these symptoms are signs that something is not right with your gut.
While there’s no doubt that food effects these symptoms, figuring out which aspect of our food is causing what symptoms is a challenging puzzle to solve.And, the most common struggle I see when investigating gut symptoms is a sporadic or inconsistent approach.
Maybe you were really motivated to fix your gut symptoms, so you started taking a probiotic and a fibre supplement as well as eliminating wheat and dairy all in one go. You may have even felt better with those changes, but you’re not sure which of the changes helped. After a while found it hard to keep up so you started forgetting your probiotic and included a few more wheat based treats. Throwing everything at the problem, all at once, often makes it harder to figure out the causes and contributors.
To get some clear answers on what’s causing your gut symptoms I really like to take a holistic and systematic approach. I work in close communication with you and your GPs to consider the functional, infectious, bacterial and common dietary factors before completing a step-by-step investigation into possible intolerances.
Clare can help you with:
- Gastrointestinal problems such as IBS and how to manage gastrointestinal discomfort (bloating, pain and irregular bowel movements) through the use of the low FODMAP diet.
- Managing other intolerances and food allergies.
- Managing your type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular disease.
- Weight management with long term healthy eating habits.
- Any medical referral from a GP.
- Clare is The Healthy Eating Clinic’s and Lead Dietitian.
- Accredited Practicing Dietitian (APD) with the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA).
- Bachelor of Human Nutrition from the University of Canberra.
- Master of Nutrition and Dietetics from University of Canberra.
Clare has been featured in publications including Canberra CityNews:
Clare is available at Harrison, Woden and Online via Telehealth
Private health and/or Medicare rebates are available for private consultations, please discuss this at your appointment.